Saturday, November 03, 2007

Creativ Welt Wiesbaden 07






Good thing Thursday was a holiday in our Bundesland :-) It´s not in Hessen, the next one over the river.. he he.. so the first day of the Creativ Welt in Wiesbaden was not as crowded as it would have been it they had a holiday, too!!!
Alex was home so he had Juju and I took off with Isa really early to do a long list of things.. first off, buying snow tires.. we´ll need them for our winter vacation!
Next, have breakfast together :-)
Then go to Creativ Welt.
Afterwards go to cemeteries to visit my grandparents and other relatives to light candles since it was all saints.
And last, we had to drive to Alzey (if you ever read about Siegried the Dragon Slayer you probably heard of Alzey, a quaint little town about 20 miles from Oppenheim) to visit my colleague Gabi to see if the bunnies liked Isa...
At Creativ Welt, first I dropped Isa off at the free child care (yippeh!) for about 2 hours and ventured on my own - awesome! Didn´t get the book I wanted but didn´t buy fabric, either! Kudooos to me! lool..
Didn´t get the walking foot I wanted either.. but at least I know where to get it now :-)
I did buy a circle cutter, a new cutting board, really beautiful oriental glass beads for Isa and a Marble track called Cugolino pop for Juju though - I had so much fun playing with all the different blocks that I had to get a small starter set for him - well, christmas is around the corner so I went to the basement in the christmas gift box :-)


When I picked up Isa, she tried herself at wood cutting - with my help she cut out a 2-piece star that she painted later and that turned out really nicely - now she wants to do more sawing.. he he.. watch out Opi, here comes work for ya!

Then after enjoying the quilt expo they had, I got Isa and went to play with some games some more, bought a really nice dice game for her, bought some awesome markers and some blopens (finally caved in.. lol) which are for christmas as well! She also found some paper punches and
christmas card decoration stuff that she wanted so pretty much all the shopping went to the kids but I had such a great time looking around - priceless! Here are the pictures of the quilts - the theme was "suitcases from around the world" and had some really awesome quilts with Geysers, Volcanoes, hot-and-cold themes and tons of other things.. I didn´t take pictures of all, just of a couple..
Then there were quilts that incorporated a patch made by children in a village in Afghanistan - those quilts were made by children here... wow!! They were all so gorgeous!!!

And then I saw some that at first glance reminded me of Kristin´s work but.. yeah, her´s are more beautiful :-) I really liked them though!














3 comments:

Dorothee said...

Great overview of the fair, thanks for posting those. I think you can totally tell that the artistic standard in Germany is well below that of other "quilting nations" - with exceptions of course.

sidulrike said...

not sure I can agree, personally I think the standard is just fine, the crookedness on the one quilt was intended - I think.. And the quilts on the pictures with many quilts are all made by children - I think they are awesome! I was so impressed by what 6 - 16 year olds came up with :-)
The bandwith of quilters may not be as broad in Germany but the suitcase quilts? marvellous!
This was not a quilt show by the way, the expo was just an added bonus for the quilters (yippeh! I certainly appreciated it!). Maybe I should have mentioned that in my post - my bad.. I´ll make sure I´ll add more details next time :-)

Anonymous said...

I LOVE all the quilts! Makes me very jealous, wish I could get started quilting.
I love the variety of quilts and I didn't even realize some of them were done by kids, that's AMAZING!! Personally, I get tired of the same old boring quilts I see around and enjoy some with character and imagination. Thanks for sharing them with us.