Friday, October 26, 2007

Work In Progress - Heart Quilt


Wow - I think most of the hearts are done, now I need time to sew the top together!!!
My friends helped me at the last craft day and many many many of the Quiltsterne sewed a heart block for me once I asked for them!
The story:
An long time friend of mine whom I´m in touch with only about twice a year, recently kept popping into my mind so when I took a detour due to a large construction on my way home, I just gave her a call.. She was delighted and asked it I wanted to drop by with Juju which we happily said yes to. Then she gave me a quick warning and said - Sid, I have no hair.. I hope you´ll be alright with that, I am going through Chemotherapy....
huh?
She managed to develop a very rare cancer that does not invade any organs but instead covers the peritoneum (which covers your intestines, bladder etc.) with a layer of cancer cells...
Wow.. what bad news! She has always been one of the kindest, happiest and most active people around! Needed help? She´d be there. Had something on your mind? She´d have an ear to listen and a shoulder to cry on..
We stayed for a couple of hours (Isa was at Omis) and I could not believe how much my friend had been through in the previous 10 weeks! Since the cancer is inoperable as of now, she went through a strict chemo regimen until she could not endure the sickness anymore.. she was nauseous, dizzy etc..
On my way home I kept thinking what it was I could do that might help her through these tough times other than just being there for her?! And then the idea of a Quilt was born.
The next day I posted a note on the website of my quilting group and asked for "healing heart blocks" from anyone who would like to help me on this project.. and here came the flood! Block after block poured in from all of these wonderful women who don´t know my friend, 99 % of them don´t know me in real life, only from the internet!!! The most wonderful blocks, one prettier than the next..
On the following weekend I had my monthly craft day with my friends and they sewed their hearts out as well!
Just in case you wonder, I have sewn many as well.. lol.. the heart count is 60 blocks right now!!! I´ve laid them all out and wondered how to sew them up so here is a picture.. more will follow as work progresses!

No comments: