Friday, September 22, 2006

Metric baking...

Ok, here is my dilemma - I had the kraftfoods magazine in my mail last week or so and as my daughter was going through it to look for "yummy cupcakes for my birthday" she showed me this pumpkin swirl cheesecake..
As tomorrow is our monthly craftday and Silke wanted to make pumpkin soup I figured this would be a good thing to make for desert (yes, we do actually work on our projects and don´t just eat all day in case you´re wondering.. he he). Here is proof if you can manage to scroll down past these gorgeous ATCs ;-) because you´ll find a picture of some of us working and NOT eating.. grin
Anyways, I went shopping for all the ingredients for the cake today, had to go back for what I forgot the first time around and started crushing the ginger snaps and chopping the pecans. Actually, dh did the crushing. After mixing both with melted butter I put them in the spring form and guess what.....
I had not been thinking! It called for a spring form, a 9 inch spring for to be exact. I looked in my cupboard this morning and was really happy to find a spring form that looked like the standard thing. The one thing I left out of my consideration was that I was converting from inches to metric and the US system to the European system.. so no, the form was NOT 9 inches but more like 12.. lol..
So not enough stuff for the bottom layer of crust. Hubby had to crush some more ginger snaps and I expanded the rest of the recipe to try and accomodate for the changed measurements.
Somehow I must have gotten the Fahrenheit to Celcius conversion wrong because it turned out a bit darker than on the picture in the magazine.. :-D
But who cares, maybe I left it in the oven for 5 min. too long because I tried to compensate for the added ingredients or I was distracted by Juju and his friend sitting around the computer after destroying my work area..lol..
As it has to cool down over night and I want to take it to craft day in one piece I can´t even tell you if it turned out good yet.. except for that tiny little piece that got stuck on the pan when I removed the ring.. yumm.. ha ha ha - I hope the ladies can forgive me for letting it get too dark!
Monthly craft day - what a wonderful thing that is - we´re usually meeting up around noon and eat first, talk some and then work on our projects and talk some more and look at magazines - a whole Saturday afternoon just for us, women that can appreciate the sentence "and then I sat up all night taking all of the seams out again wanting to bite myself in the ass" .. ha ha ha..

2 comments:

Kristin L said...

Yummm -- we'll eat that cheesecake for sure! I we'll even forgive your little taste, since we know you are doing it for us, and not you! By the way, you will appreciate that I spent the afternoon yeasterday picking out a bunch of machine quilting so that I could stay up late last night re-doing it! Good news is, I'm sewing on binding at Craft Day, so something must have gone right :-)

Patty said...

oh that looks good. It seems pumpkin food is all the rage right now, must be fall time : )

When I was growing up, my mother and her friends had a monthly craft day and it was so much fun for them. Wish I could have something like that here, but seems all the ladies I know work.