Saturday, July 29, 2006

Lavender Wands


YEY - this morning there was actually time for me to sit down bright and early after cutting some lavender off my huge bush and putting the silk .... to good use that I found about a year ago on markdown for about 20 cents.. smile..
Kathy from pink chalk studio inspired me to do this by posting her own picutes and the how to and I can´t believe they turned out! :-D
I had never heard of them or seen them before so I HAD to make them.. ha ha
Those little black things around the end of the stems are my youngest daughter Isa´s rubber bands for those rare occasions where she´ll let me braid her hair - they came in quite handy in keeping the stems together until they´ve dried. The little baby one on the left is Isa´s by the way, she insisted on me helping her to put the side branches of the lavender to good use and this is the result. Not bad for a 4 year old (alright, going on 5 and she did have help..lol).
I´m still not so sure my lavender is the best suited for this project but for my first try they turned out alright. I wish I had more time - I would make tons of them! My 17 year old thought they were the coolest wands ever! DH thought I should bring some lavender to our monthly FRG Meeting next friday - I´m afraid all they want to do is eat and play bunco.. ha ha.. although it might be fun and I would definitely have enough lavender.
As I came back from my saturday morning gym routine (quick pat on my back) in these scorching temperatures I cut 9 more stems from my lavender and made another wand but realized that not only do they smell more intense in the early morning but also the stems seem more flexible than after being exposed to the sun for a couple of hours. One of the stems broke a bit but I still like the wand. Well, we all love our children even though they might not be perfect, huh? Alright, yes - of course they are perfect.. lol.. what was I thinking!
WOHOO! As I am typing it just started raining outside - what a sight! My flowers and the abundant insect wildlife in my backyard will appreciate this - this has been the hottest summer I remember - and I can remember waaaaay back as some of you know.. he he he..

While surfing I found this today - someone put alot of work into collecting these strange statues from around the world - definitely worth grabbing a fresh cup of coffee and taking 10 minutes to look at! Or 15 min?

Oh and for those who don´t frequent whiplash - heres a cool link with mac fishtanks including a tutorial. Where did I put that old monitor??????

No comments: